Funding Models of Education Abroad Offices (2023)
How are education abroad offices funded at U.S. institutions? What are the benefits and drawbacks to the prevailing models? What are creative strategies for fundraising and building financial sustainability into education abroad operations? The 2020-21 Financial Models and Structures Working Group explored this.
2022 State of the Field
Data collection is now complete for our 2022 State of the Field Survey, the most comprehensive survey of the professional field of education abroad we’ve ever conducted. We look forward to publishing the results in April 2023.
Past State of the Field Surveys
The latest data on key issues and trends in education abroad as investigated by the State of the Field Survey since 2006.
- October 2020 | June 2021 (COVID Snapshots)
- 2017 State of the Field Survey
- 2015 State of the Field Survey
- 2013 State of the Field Survey
- 2011 State of the Field Survey
- 2009 State of the Field Survey
- 2008 State of the Field Survey
- 2006 State of the Field Survey
Comparing College Student Mortality Rates in the U.S. with Mortality Rates while Abroad
This 7-year expansion of The Forum’s 2017 investigation of critical incidents using insurance claims data finds that students are less likely to die during participation in education abroad than when they are studying on domestic campuses.
Insurance Claims Data and Mortality Rate for College Students Studying Abroad
This Report provides for the first time information on the mortality rate for U.S. students studying abroad with a comparison to students studying on campuses in the U.S. The key finding of the Report is that college students studying abroad are less likely to die than college students studying on campuses in the U.S. The Report is beneficial to The Forum membership and the field by providing a context by which we can understand the relatively rare occurrence of the death of a student abroad.
Critical Incident Database
The Critical Incident Database (CID) is a tool for Forum members to use in tracking critical incidents that occur while their students are abroad. It also serves as a method for tracking required information on incidents that should be reported for a member’s Annual Security Report as required by the Department of Education in compliance with the Clery Act.
- Education Abroad Positions: Job Titles and Descriptions (2016)
- Gender Bias and Salaries in Education Abroad (March 2014)
- 2013 Institutional and Program Resources Preliminary Report
- Constructing Effective Brazilian – U.S. Partnerships (2013)
- Report on the 2013 Forum Survey to its Members and Subsequent Dialogue with International Officers of Brazilian Institutions at the FAUBAI (Association of Brazilian Higher Education Institutions, Offices for International Relations) Conference
- E-Learning and Education Abroad Survey Results (Public Report, 2013)
- Forum/IIE 2011 Snapshot Survey
- Forum/IIE 2010 Snapshot Survey
- Survey on the Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on Education Abroad (2009)
- Pathways to the Profession Survey (2008)
- Survey on Program Management in Education Abroad (2007), Executive Summary
- Survey on Participation Rates (2003)
- Open Doors Data for Forum Membership: Academic Year 2002-2003