Centering Justice Institute
Friday November 3, 2023
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Hult International Business School
One of the shifts that needs to take place whether we are faculty, administrators, scholars, and/or practitioners is that we center justice in our work. What does it look like when we imagine education abroad as an opportunity to create more just, inclusive and sustainable communities? When we work across our higher education institutions, and the local and global community contexts in which we and our students live and learn, we also expand access and support for first-generation and underrepresented students in education abroad. This institute will share resources and strategies to create more inclusive policies and program structures to improve first generation and other underrepresented college student access to and support for education abroad, using the Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad as a foundation and the Interdependence: Global Solidarity and Local Actions Toolkit as a resource.
Goals of the Institute
Following participation in this institute, attendees will be able to:
- Understand our roles and responsibilities to better support the unique perspectives and experiences that first-generation and underrepresented college students bring to their educational journey;
- Apply current models of asset based advising designed to guide and support First Gen and students belonging to other historically underrepresented and underserved groups through the education abroad cycle;
- Initiate and enact changes to create more just policies and structures that create more equitable opportunities across all of our education abroad stakeholders, especially first generation and underrepresented students;
- Consider and start to develop inclusive decolonial pedagogical approaches in education abroad orientations, staff and faculty development and trainings, curriculum, etc.
Workshops and Activities
- Key Definitions and Framing
- Concepts and Models for Centering Justice in Education Abroad
- Practical Applications and Strategies for Increasing Access
- Create an Action Plan for Your Own Organizational Contexts
- Networking Lunch, Coffee Breaks, and Reception
Registration opening soon.
We encourage participants to consider sustainable options when making travel arrangements.
*To register for the Institute, you’ll need to sign into our online portal. If you haven’t yet set up your account in the portal, you can follow the instructions here.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org