The Forum on Education Abroad proposes a series of workshops in support of our mission to “cultivate educators who champion high quality education abroad experiences that ignite curiosity, impact lives, and contribute to a better world,” based on our guidelines for Advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals through Education Abroad.
Valuing & Applying the UN SDGs in Education Abroad
Description: This workshop provides an overview on how to incorporate the UN Sustainable Development Goals into the development and delivery of education abroad programs, and introduces participants to the guidelines for Advancing the UN SDGs through Education Abroad. Guided by exercises and informed by active discussion, participants will explore strategies for addressing the global challenges of realizing a more sustainable future for all.
- Understand the UN Sustainable Development Goals and their connections to various aspects of education abroad.
- Be able to use the guidelines for Advancing the UN SDGs through Education Abroad to guide decision-making around education abroad.
- Propose specific ways of integrating the UN SDGs into new or existing education abroad programs.
Climate Action: Education Abroad for a Healthy Planet
Description: Urgent action is needed to combat climate change and its impacts. What does that mean for education abroad? With a focus on the Administrative Framework section of the Guidelines for Advancing the UN SDGs through Education Abroad and Goal 13, Climate Action, this workshop will address how to integrate climate change measures into all aspects of education abroad programming, educate stakeholders on climate change mitigation, and set goals across institutions and organizations.
- Understand SDG13 and its related targets and indicators.
- Be able to articulate connections between SDG 13 and other SDGs, and how it contributes to “peace and prosperity for people and the planet through partnerships.”
- Propose specific ways their education abroad programs could contribute to SDG 13, including:
- Integrating climate change measures into policies, strategies and planning
- Improving education, awareness-raising and institutional/organizational capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction
- Identifying accessible changes that can be made to education abroad programs in the short term to combat climate change.
Quality Education Abroad for All: Education for Sustainable Development
Description: While institutional priorities regarding the 17 SDGs may differ, as international educators, we should all be working towards Goal 4, which is to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all. Join us for in-depth exploration of Goal 4, and how education abroad can promote global citizenship education and education for sustainable development.
- Understand SDG target 4.7 and its associated indicators.
- Be able to articulate connections between SDG 4, the other SDGs, global learning experiences, and how they contribute to “peace and prosperity for people and the planet.”
- Propose specific ways that their education abroad programs could contribute to SDG Target 4.7 by incorporating education abroad for sustainable development, including gender equality and human rights, into education abroad:
- Policies and procedures
- Curricula and co-curricula
- Faculty learning and development
- Student learning assessment